Bangladesh and Dhaka have been on CNN lately due to violence and protests due to the upcoming elections. Elections are held every 5 years - and are usually a little messy. The current upheaval is due to disagreements over the Election Council. During elections - power is handed over to an Election Council who is supposed to be an unbiased interim governing body. I'm still getting up to date on the politics in Bangladesh - but there are huge disagreements over who should be serving as the Chief Election Council - there's some irregularity as the current President is involved and they don't think he should be. Don't quote me on it though - I'm still trying to get my head around it. I'll post more once I get a better understanding.
There are 14 different active political parties here - so you can imagine the chaos in deciding something as a country.
Usually - I just pay attention to the security notices that get sent out from the local US Embassy for citizens. They are usually very conservative regarding public safety - so I usually use that information in conjuction with news or info from co-workers. I don't tend to go outside of the Gulshan, Banani, Bharidhara areas - these are the diplomatic enclave regions.
In fact - I live next to the Italian Embassy...so I guess that's a good thing after all. The new office building will be across the street from the US Embassy. So I'm fairly close to diplomatically immune areas. =) Things are fairly calm where I am for now - except for additional soldiers with rifles and machine guns...but other than that, it's been business as usual for us in this area - luckily.
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment