Saturday, November 25, 2006

another quick update from Kathmandu

Hi - I made it back safely from Nagarkot. It was pretty beautiful - but SUPER COLD...like minus 3 degrees!!! I don't know the conversion, but it felt like 30 degrees farenheit or colder!! I've got a bit of a sore throat, maybe from the cold. There's no heat in the hotels here - I use pretty much all the blankets in the room for my bed everywhere I've stayed.

Returning from Nagarkot - I went to spend a few hours in the Patan Durbar Square. This area was divided into 3 kingdoms - Bhaktapur, Patan and Kathmandu. Each of the former royal palaces were called Durbar Square - so I've been to 2 of the 3 Durbar Squares in the area. Patan's has been the nicest so far. I'll have to go back to see some of the sights that I missed in Patan on my next trip. So much to see!!


I met a nice couple while I was having lunch in Patan today. The husband is German and the wife is from Singapore. He is here in Nepal for a month working on helping the handmade paper industry here prepare for export to Germany. It's some kind of joint venture project with the government of Nepal and Germany. He specializes in both the creation of handmade paper, in addition to creating products out of those papers like picture frames, journals, boxes...etc. (Specifically of a quality for the European market.) I joined them for a trip through the Patan Museum and he pointed out some flaws in the journals on sale at the Museum shop. I thought that the journals there were pretty nicely made, but he quickly pointed out some flaws that I overlooked. I am having brunch with John and Monique tomorrow morning - they will be taking me around for a few hours before I return to head to the airport. I have see lots here - but there's so much more to see, I missed some key sights and would like to spend more time in Patan next time and take a trip out to Pokhora (which requires an airplane flight). Anyways - catching Dhoom 2 tonite with Kishor, his wife, Guarab and another friend of their's. No one is letting me pay for anything!! They said that I can treat when they come out to Bangladesh. *sigh*

No comments: