Here's something interesting that I wanted to share...Bangladesh doesn't have any huge semi-trucks to transport building materials, etc.
I may have mentioned before that the metal girders are transported in halves? They fold the metal girder in half and the transport them where they need to go. (Because they don't have trucks long enough to transport them whole!) Then workers pound the girder straight again to be used in making cement walls, foundations, etc.
Behind the office - there is a cement pipe company. What I mean by that is that there are three guys who make cement pipes in the yard behind our building. The cement pipes are made in halves over a mold - they let it dry - and then add the other half before rolling the completed pipe into a pile.
It's all very interesting to watch these wiry Bangladeshi men in their lunghis (imagine plaid fabric wrapped around the waist - like a pareo) push these fairly large cement pipes into a pile amidst this empty lot. Very strange - made me think, how are cement pipes made in the US? =)
Can you imagine how many things are done differently here - JUST BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE BIG TRUCKS?? It's a little mind blowing actually.
As an aside - seriously, I have NEVER seen so many men casually pissing at the side of the road. There's at least one siting a day - it's not like I'm LOOKING for it! Men squatting with their backs to the road - bent at a crouch with their lunghis or men standing pissing on the side of the road on a fence or next to the sidewalk. GROSS! Another reason NOT to walk around here!
Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment