Why saree shopping? Well - I'm finding that I am often invited at the last minute to various weddings, dinners and balls and I need something that I can pull out of the closet to wear. So far - I've got one sparkly shalwar kameez set...but I really needed a saree or two. That's what most women wear to special events.
So - after several hours of watching various sarees unfolded, tried on and compared - I've settled on the few below. You can't really tell the entire pattern from the little piece that I'm showing here...but it'll give you an idea. I really should have taken pictures in the store. I'll do that next time. Now that I've got several to wear for events - I'm going to keep my eye out for some nice ones to convert into western clothing. I have other friends that I know are going - so I can watch them agonize and just pick out 1-2 favorites for myself if I am so inclined. =) (of course I will be inclined, let's just hope that my pocket book can maintain it! although to be honest - I bought 5 saris for about $200USD...spendy, but not breaking the bank, that's for sure!)
Did you know that you wear a petticoat underneath the saree? That's what helps to hold it all together! I have to get some petticoats made - plus the blouse piece to wear under the saree. You can also get "cheater" sarees made - where it's already sewn into a skirt piece and you don't have to fold it into the petticoat yourself. Dressing yourself in a saree is an art and many of my local compatriots still require help (and they've lived here their entire lives!).
This one was cute - something funky and fun to wear to a luncheon or a more casual party. (silk)
This one is my favorite - not very typical as it is BLACK and fairly plain with silver sequins. It's very slippery, so it will definitely get made into a cheater saree. But the best part about this one is that I can see myself wearing this again in the states. I think it's fairly classic. Aiko really encouraged me to buy this one for the same reason - easy to wear again. Very sophisticated. (silk georgette)
Katan Silk - design is only on one side, but I bought this one to make into skirts for my mom and sister. Note the color change from silver/sage to pink. It's really cute!
Simple brown "soft" silk with turquoise print. I bought this several weekends ago - I'm thinking either cushions or a soft skirt. I really like the combination of brown and turquoise.
Here's my flat mate - E, modeling a summer dress she had made from saree material. See...all sorts of cool possibilities!!
No comments:
Post a Comment