Snake Charmers (yes, real snake charmers) wander the streets playing their flutes, hoping someone will stop them for a paid show. I haven't caught a show yet - but I will at one point before I leave. =)
"Scooters" - There is a sect of lepers in Bangladesh who survive by the grace of others (begging). They sit on metal disks and slide/swing down the street using their arms. The disks look like small rectangular metal pieces that have rounded corners, and are bent to conform to their bums. The metal pieces lined with old foam or cloth and strapped to their bums. The "Scooters" (a nickname that I've given them) travel in packs and call out "Allah!" as they "scoot" down the street. They cross their legs and swing themselves on their arms...or use sticks in each hand to scoot down the street as their mode of transportation.
Because the military has taken over temporarily in the state of emergency - they've been cracking down on licenses and permits. For the last week - all the rickshaw wallahs have been waiting to get their official rickshaw licenses and permits . Look at how closely they stand next to each other in line. They are completely ON TOP of each other. I couldn't stand in line like that! In the airport, sometimes people try to push you to line up like that...but I stand my ground. The plane is not going anywhere - everyone will eventually get on the plane...regardless of how closely you queue up!
Here's a shot of the steering wheel of a loaner car/driver that we had last week. Notice how the horn is frequently used and the thumb of one hand is always at the ready to toot the horn!
No comments:
Post a Comment