I was rooting around in my mom's refrigerator the other day when I noticed two small containers that were labeled "Matt's - DO NOT TOUCH!!"
Being the nosy oldest sister that I am, I immediately opened the containers to see what he was not sharing. (In my family, there are 5 kids. If you put anything in the fridge that you don't want others to eat, you label it.)
Inside the two pint sized containers was something that looking like preserved fruit, it smelled fruity...but wasn't. So - being the curious person that I am, I ate a small piece. It tasted like it smelled, but had a sharp acrid aftertaste and burned on the way down. About 15 minutes later I started to feel a bit nauseous.
When my little brother finally woke up and wandered down the stairs, I asked him, "Hey, Matt - what's in those containers that you have marked in the fridge?"
True to typical little brother form - he responded, "None of your business, don't touch it. Why you ask?"
"I ate some - it tasted bad."
The look on his face was pretty classic - I guess it was worth the bit of nauseousness that I felt. After the initial shock and laughter died down, he explained that it was sheesha (or flavored tobacco) to be used in a hookah (water pipe). I've tried one in Pakistan on my last trip - have seen some hookah bars in the Bay Area as well. They were just becoming popular when I left for Bangladesh.
I have to admit that I didn't like it personally - but can see how others would like it. It makes the smoke fruit flavored and is a bit more mellow than smoking from a cigarette. Like smoking - it makes my lungs hurt, so I don't usually partake.
But I can also speak from experience and speak with authority when I say - DO NOT EAT THE SHEESHA!! Ugh - gross!!
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ohhhhh man ... I can't believe you'd eat something that you didn't recognize !!! Especially with boys living in the house !!!!!!
Post a Comment