Saturday, July 07, 2007

4th of July

Okay - it's a few days late, but I wanted to share some thoughts that ran through my head this past July 4th.

First of all - the holiday is OBVIOUSLY not celebrated here in Bangladesh since it is an American holiday celebrating America's independence from British rule. What is funny is that I was thinking, what would the US be like if we were still a British colony? (I guess it sort of ran through my head because India and by default, Bangladesh, was at some point heavily influenced by the British.)

Here are some things that I was thinking about:
  • We'd all speak with a funny accent - maybe similar to the Australians
  • We'd be using the British pound and the metric system
  • Our favorite pastime would be watching the antics of the Royal Family
  • Tony Blair would have been our recently retired Prime Minister
  • Football would refer to "soccer"
  • And we'd be eating horrible food. =)
But on a more serious note - the good ol' US of A wouldn't be the same...and by default, I would have been a much different person. (Since I grew up in the US, my experiences would have been a bit different it was still a British colony.) Anyways - it blows my mind to think about all the differences if America was still under British rule.

So - I have actually never been as thankful to be an American and to be able to celebrate the 4th of July as I am this year. =)

Happy 4th of July everyone!! hehe...

No comments: