Tuesday, September 11, 2007

East Mingles with West

Me, Tatiana, Elli and Nate - all dressed up for the fashion show


This last Thursday (September 6th, 2007) - I was part of the Zonta Fashion Show 2007. Zonta is a charitable organization of a number of local and expat women. Their regular activities include weekly/monthly visits to elderly without family support and an annual charity event (usually a fashion show). This year's fashion show benefits went to the flood victims in Bangladesh.

Rather than use REAL models for this year's event, Zonta decided that it wanted to use expats living in Bangladesh. I met the organizer, Tootli, at the Commonwealth Fashion Show earlier this year...and my flatmate's "Dhaka Mom" used to be an active member of the group. So - as unlikely as it may seem, I was dragged into the event (feet dragging).

As you know, we've been practicing for the last 4-6 Saturday afternoons for this event. Now that the show is over - here are some pictures for your enjoyment!

It took the entire gang of models 5 hours to get ready! First there was make-up, then hair, then someone dressed you in your saree. (Yes - there is a professional saree dresser that you can pay to dress you for special occasions.)

Here we are sitting around, waiting for our turn to get made up.

(left) Nate wore these shoes with his "wedding outfit"
(right) Some of the volunteer models for the fashion show
(bottom) All dressed up!!

(left) Dinesha was in our group for the catwalk "routine"
(Tatiana, Dinesha, Amandine and I were in one group for 2 outfits.)
(bottom) Tatiana and the lady in the pink saree

Tatiana - getting some help from Tootli's daughter

(top) Nate & the "German" - the guy in the yellow is Amandine's boyfriend.
(bottom) me with Sumon - the professional model who taught us how to catwalk.


(left) The "JOBS Gang" - (clockwise) me, Nate, Elli and Tatiana
(right) Amandine and Tatiana - the French Ladies


BEFORE and AFTER - me and Tatiana.
In person - the makeup was HEAVY DUTY. In pictures, not so bad after all. It took TWO DAYS for me to get all the eyeliner off though! I was worried about the fake eyelashes coming off - they were no problem at all!


BEFORE and AFTER - Elli and I
(yeah, okay, I admit - the makeup did improve our appearances)
p.s. that's not some weird goiter on my neck - that's my earrings!!

BEFORE and AFTER - me and Nate.
(Nate's my other flatmate - he's moving to Australia in a couple of weeks to rejoin his Bangladeshi wife. He's been in Bangladesh for over 4 years!! He came here with Peace Corps and never left!!)


And the AFTERMATH!!
(left) Everyone just stripped out of their sarees, blouses and petticoats and dumped them on the couch after we were done. What a mess!! Folding 6 yards of saree material is definitely an acquired skill.

(right) When I got home - I realized that the makeup artist had put my eyelashes on differently on both eyes. In the picture, you can see that the eye on the left has the fake eyelashes curled and pointing up. The eye on the right is my sleepy left eye - but the fake eyelashes were pointing down, making the eye look even sleepier! I've got to admit though - fake eyelashes DO make your eyes look bigger! I wish I could get eyelash implants! Apparently - you can get eyelash EXTENSIONS but they eventually fall out. I don't know if $100 per eye is worth it, unless it's for a VERY special event! =P

Last night - I went to Tootli's for a thank you tea and to watch a video of the event. O-M-G!! The camera seriously adds some pounds! (Not only that, but the angle was horrible and everyone looked shorter and wider than in real life!)

One thing I did learn from watching the video is that I sometimes look like I "waddle". That's why they tell you to walk slow and place your feet as if you were walking in a straight line!! I looked like I waddling down the runway!! (Before I saw the video - I thought I was soooooo sooooo cool - you know, a legend in my own mind.) HI-LAR-I-OUS!!! I'll definitely be much more conscious of my posture and footing as long as I remember that video! THANKFULLY - all the pictures above are much more flattering! (As if I would post unflattering photos!!) =P I'm so vain!!

2 comments:

Mrs. Smong said...

wow you look just gorgeous !!!! I love the lavander purple sari and hair

tw said...

Thank you!! =) Of course I only posted the pictures wear I actually looked cute!! hehe...

Can you believe that the saree I wore is a little over 14 000 Taka ($200+)??!!

I know that people buy sarees like the ones we wore that night and pass them on to their children as family heirlooms. I was amazed at how much a really nice one costs though! (Apparently, most designer sarees fall into that price range...up to $2,000+!!)

I may buy one before I leave - to keep...but then I think, how often am I really going to wear a saree? I'll just buy something more reasonable and make it into a skirt. =)