This morning, I just found out that I need to get the website up and live by next week - even when I feel like we're a month away from getting it live. ARRRRGGHH!!
I guess I should give some background. They originally hired me in Bangladesh to deliver a website. The company was originally an non-profit trust. They have expanded out from the original trust to be an umbrella organization with the original non-profit trust in addition to several supporting groups. The group that I was hired for is the JOBS-ICT Private Limited - (JIPL) Job Opportunities and Business Support - Information and Computer Technology. They use the term ICT here vs. IT. Anyways - the goal of this group is to create a job placement medium to bridge the gap between:
1.) The Private Sector and Industry's need for quality technical talent andThe concept is good and very interesting - and it's more to support a good cause than to create profit. Technically - it's a job placement website, catering specifically to the graduates of the Sun & Cisco Academy programs. It is understood by the investors of this company that once it becomes self sustaining, that the leadership of the company want to re-invest the profits back into the JIPL.
2.) The different academies (Sun & Cisco) that are graduating technical graduates who say that they can't find good jobs in Bangladesh.
Breathe...I just need to breathe - get the freak out over with and put the damn thing up, crappy workmanship and all. I've got to "put a stake in the ground" and then move forward from there. The frustrating thing too is that there are other projects that I can work on, which are more directly impactful for the overall country (like Unicef and other large NGO funded projects), but I can't because all of my time has been taken over by this web project. I'm frustrated because I don't have a good technical support team to help me build the site and there's an overwhelming lack of attention to detail that kills me. It just seems like I have to work twice as hard here as I did back home, on something that isn't very hard from a technical perspective. (And on a professional level - I'm not learning a lot of new subject matter. Although I am learning lots on how to work in a different country...but that's not as tangible as new subject matter!)
*sigh* I just needed to vent. I know I'm airing dirty laundry and folks reading this probably know more about me now than they ever wanted to. But, it's a way to keep my sanity.
No comments:
Post a Comment