Sunday, December 03, 2006

Dengue Fever

My roommate (and deputy country director of the company) was just diagnosed with Dengue Fever (aka Breakbone Fever). We think that she was infected in Cambodia, but - I'm taking precautions just to be sure.

Dengue is transmitted from human to mosquito and then to human again. Only a specific type of mosquito transmits dengue. Apparently it's a black and white striped mosquito that bites during the day and breeds in clean vs. stagnant water.

The symptoms sort of sound like rheumatoid fever or mono even. She's exhausted and has to rest frequently. Her whole body aches, especially her joints and she has a a rash all over her body. Her hands and feet are swollen and itchy as well. At first we thought it was the flu, but as things progressed, we encouraged her to go to the doctor for a check up. Sure enough, it was dengue.

It doesn't sound fun - but luckily it isn't too dangerous. There is one strain of dengue that is hemorrhagic. That one can be deadly if not treated immediately. Basically it causes your body to bleed inside and can lead to seizures and coma. Scary! Anyways - I'll be sure to wear my repellent during the day since I'm often the target for mosquitoes.

1 comment:

tipsymonkey said...

Yeah Dengue is more a pain then deadly. There is a large Dengue problem in El Salvador last time I was there. Be careful and hopefully you won't catch it.