I hate to do this - this is NOT me. I'm a "manage by example" girl. I like to show people that, "yes, I'm your manager because I am capable, I am more senior than you because I have more relevant experience." I earn my power based on my personal experience credentials.
WRONG way to manage in South Asia.
Here - it's all about being officially appointed as "title". And, "I'm the boss of you because of my title". I don't like that - it's not me.
BUT - as I've learned, it's not all about me. (As much as I hate to admit it.) I need to adapt my style of doing things based on the location (geographically), the culture and the company where I work. (SUCK! Do I HAVE to grow up?!)
So - because I am the "Director of Operations" here at JOBS-ICT, I'm the boss of you people...I don't have to follow my own rules (because you don't respect me more or less because of it...even though I will because that is who I am). Sheeeeesh...no fun. I don't know how to do this - I'm at a loss and run the risk of becoming a tyrant and reverting to another known role - the overbearing eldest sister.
I've got to figure out a balance.
Monday, May 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment