Monday, August 04, 2008

staycation

STAYCATION - It's a new term that's being banded around on the travel networks and on commercials. Have a "staycation"!! According to the Urban Dictionary - a staycation is a vacation that is spent at one's home enjoying all that home and one's home environs have to offer.

Since finishing culinary school, I took a week off to recuperate and rest. During that time, I took my god-daughter, O, to the Children's Discovery Museum and we had a great time. Apparently that qualifies as a staycation. =) I know I've been neglecting this blog, so I decided to turn it into a general travel blog (as opposed to just being a blog about my stay in Bangladesh).

Here are some shots from our staycation at the Children's Discovery Musuem.



Last week, one of my best friends, A decided to take a week off of work for a series of staycations - the Oakland Zoo, a trip to the movie theaters and the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I joined her and the kids at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Here are some shots from our day at the aquarium. We literally spent the ENTIRE day there...from noon until 5pm. It was a little crazy since the kids outnumbered the adults. I think the little ones would have had more fun if they got more time to roam about outside of their stroller...but what can you do? =) It was a great time regardless.




Staycations can be cheaper than going on a full blown trip, especially if you can't take a solid block of time off. I think the best part of the concept is promoting the exploration of all that your city and area has to offer. We're luckier than most in the Bay Area. There's so much within several hours driving distance!


No comments: