YES - It's official, I'll be ending my contract in Bangladesh at the end of November! My year-long contract ends in mid-October, but I'll stay an extra month to finish transitioning and ensure that technical details are documented for future reference.
After closing out the job here in Dhaka - I'll be traveling in South Asia for about 5 weeks. The itinerary is not yet finalized, but I would like to travel in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. I may also stop in Thailand and/or India depending on my available timetable. I'd like to do 2 weeks at a yoga retreat, but we'll see how it all goes. Anyone up for some adventure with me? I'd love some traveling companions!
...even more exciting than the travel is that I have also officially registered for the culinary and sommelier program at the Professional Culinary Institute in Campbell, CA! I start on January 14th for the full time culinary program (Monday thru Friday from 7am to 12pm) and on January 29th for the part time Sommelier Program (Tuesday thru Thursday evenings from 6:30 -9:30pm). Both programs will end at roughly the same time - June 5th for the Sommelier Program and July 1st for the Culinary Program.
I'm sooooo excited to embark on this new adventure! I've been trying for years now to do the culinary program. In 2000 or thereabouts, I took several weekend courses at the San Francisco Culinary Academy. The courses were expensive and I decided to forgo the complete course in order to save money to buy a townhouse. I stopped after completing three courses, the last course being "Sauces".
I don't know what I'm planning to do with this education - but I'm using 2008 as a sabbatical year. It's been 11 years since I've graduated from college and started working full time (wow - the years have flown by)! I started working part time jobs when I was 14-15...so I say it's high time I took a much needed break to recharge my batteries!
I don't believe that I'll be able to afford to NOT WORK for the entire year - so I'll probably start looking for some part time employment in February/March. =) It won't be a complete sabbatical but it sure will be a lot of fun I hope!
As for the remainder of 2008 - my family plans on going to the 2008 Olympics in Beijing in August. I will likely take the chance to travel for another 4-6 weeks after the Olympic fun in the area. There may also be some opportunity for me to return to Bangladesh to help teach a few classes. Who knows? =) I'm keeping my options open! I'm also thinking about taking a CELTA course, which will allow me to teach English in foreign countries. (I'd like to do some more work in other countries for 1-2 year intervals in between working stints in the US.) There's also other possibilities available in Silicon Valley or within the US as well - so we'll see what the universe brings me.
Sunday, October 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
congratulations, Terrina! i may want to join you for a week on your se asian adventure in mid-december, as I have 2 weeks off for winter break. keep me posted!
hey there - would LOVE to have some company! I'll email you directly to see what your schedule looks like!
Wow - big changes! Great news! Looking forward to seeing you back in the US! I guess this means you can do that tri with me in June :)
Definitely count me in for the Tri in June! =) I've got to keep some kind of physical goals, or I'll get even fatter with all the tasting at culinary school!! hehe...
Anyone else interested in joining? MA and I (and a bunch of MaryAnn's friends) are going to train to do the Tri-for-Fun in June 2008. It's a sprint distance tri-athlon - quarter mile swim, 10-12 mile bike ride and a 3 mile run. =)
Post a Comment