Monday, June 11, 2007

the roaches come out at night...

Somehow - the roaches all come out at the stroke of midnite. Okay, I am being a bit of a drama queen...but recently whenever I leave my bedroom after midnite...I always have cockroach sightings. UGH!!

It's officially rainy season here in Bangladesh. There are parts of the city that are under 2-3 feet of water because of the heavy rains. Bangladesh is a few meters below sea level I believe. In the area where I live, it's not too bad there are areas where there are pools of water but most drain out to the lake. When the lake fills up though, we're going to have a problem.

Some of the streets perpendicular to the one that my house sits on faces the lake - several of them have already started flooding when it rains for several hours heavily...or several days in a row. My driver mentioned that the fish will start to swim up to the street. Isn't that crazy?!

I think that the flooding water either chases the roaches up to higher ground, or the damp gives them a great breeding environment. They live and breed in the WALLS - it's a constant battle. Since my flatmate's room got flooded last week - I've been seeing more roaches.

I went to the kitchen just now (around 12:45am) and I saw THREE HUGE roaches - we all froze when the light went on and I immediately went for the roach spray. Apparently if you smash them, you can help to distribute their eggs and I'm not about to spread roach eggs around.

I think I got two - DAMN things drive me crazy. I can't sleep after I see them crawling around. If I see them in my room - they must die before I can even try to sleep. *sigh* Thank goodness this last sighting was in the kitchen. But THREE in the kitchen - I'm not liking that. I'm going to ask the housekeeper to wipe down the counters and the floors with bleach and water. SO GROSS!!

1 comment:

Mrs. Smong said...

Hopefully these roaches stick low to the ground and don't fly. The ones in Hawaii fly when startled. There's nothing worse than a roach taking flight in your direction. Stay cool.