Monday, October 23, 2006

On a more personal note...

Here is the email that I sent out to my personal contacts - which I then subsequently failed to port over from my work address book. DOH!!!

If you are reading this blog and are a friend - please send me a personal email, so that I can re-add you to my personal address book. (head bowed) I'm such a loser!! My address book should have been the FIRST thing to export. *sigh* I do have most of my old email messages though, if that helps to redeem me.

Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 6:36 PM
Subject:
Updated email and contact info...see you soon!!

Hello my friends –

I finally did it!! I’m flying the Cisco coop!! This is my last week here at Cisco. Can you believe it?

While going through the sale of my townhouse, a good friend offered me an opportunity to work internationally with her in a small, mostly non-profit company. After a great deal of thought, I decided it really was an offer I couldn’t refuse. I mean – it really is something that I would regret NOT pursuing. So – after her husband talked me into a last minute trip to check out the city and the company, I gave my notice to Cisco – moved out of my townhouse – and am moving to Dhaka, Bangladesh on October 19th for a new adventure.

It’ll be sad to leave my friends and family – but it’s only a year. 12 months goes by so fast!! And we’ll be keeping in touch for sure!

I’ll be posting some pictures and commentary on a blog site at some point in the near future. Don’t expect to see anything until the end of October.

Please keep in touch! I’m on all the usual social/professional networking sites – linkedin, friendster...and dare I say it? *gasp* myspace too.

See you all soon!

FAQS

Where is Bangladesh?
Contrary to popular misconception, Bangladesh is a small country of its own. It’s located on the northeastern border of India – between India, Nepal, Bhutan and (Myanmar) Burma. At one time it used to be part of India, but was separated from India as a part of Pakistan, becaming East Pakistan. Bangladesh later (with the aid of India) declared its independence from Pakistan and became its own nation. Read more about Bangladesh in the CIA Fact Book - http://sportsforum.ws/sd/factbook/geos/bg.html

What’s the weather like?
It’s hot, it’s humid – natural disasters are monsoons and cyclones. I’m so excited, I can’t WAIT!! (voice dripping with sarcasm)

How long will you be gone?
I’ve initially committed to a 12 month contract with this company. I’ll be home for the holidays at Christmas and probably another few weeks in July.

What will you be doing?
I’ll be doing project management work for the IT market sector – which means that I’ll be working with Sun and Cisco’s non profit groups to set up IT training curriculum in the local colleges and universities…and whatever other projects my new boss wants me to work on. But basically – building the local IT talent pool and helping to define job placement resources for the graduates.

Where will you be living?
I’ll be living in Dhaka – the capital city of Bangladesh, in the Gulshan region. This is where many of the ambassadors from other countries live – it’s really one of the nicer parts of town. I’ll be staying with a co-worker for the first several months, before the new company building is built. Then I’ll be living on the fifth floor of the new office building (along with 1-2 other co-workers) – so I’ll have an amazing commute! Besides – I’ll have air conditioning, internet connection...food, clean water and showers…how bad can it be? (really – that’s rhetorical, don’t answer that)

What will you wear?

Well, since the weather is my FAVORITE…hot and humid. I’ll be wearing all of my lighter summer business wear in addition to the local garb called the shalwar chemise. Due to their proximity to India – they do also wear saris, but that’s mostly for special occasions. The shalwar chemise is the three piece outfit – I’m sure you’ve seen folks wearing it around the bay. It’s a long shirt with pants that are either tapered or loose fitting, accompanied by a matching scarf.

What is the time difference?
During PDT (Daylight Savings Time - “spring forward”) – Dhaka is 13 hours ahead of California

During PST (Pacific Standard Time - “fall back”) – Dhaka is 14 hours ahead of California

Why are you doing this?
I couldn’t hold out for Cisco’s 10 year gift any longer!! Just Kidding!! Actually – it was an opportunity that was made available to me by a friend who is currently halfway through her contract in Bangladesh. She needed a project manager and it was an opportunity that I would have regretted not pursuing. I’ve always wanted to work out of the country AND you all know how I’m always volunteering. You know – I always wanted to join the Peace Corp!! I think it’s going to be a great growth experience for me both personally and professionally, and so I had to take the plunge. Also – the work that the company is doing is very interesting to me, and I will learn a new subject matter…non-profit and business development services.

No comments: