Monday, December 17, 2007

ready to head home soon...

It's been three jam packed days of sight seeing (after a while, all the temples start to look the same no matter how carefully you read the guide book!) and I'm ready to blow this joint. =) Tomorrow, I go to see two more temples...a bit away from town, nearly an hour by tuk tuk and then head back to my hotel to shower and then off to a luxurious three hour spa treat!

My favorite part about these last couple of days have been finding the random gems of non-crowded temples and wandering about. I also love the feel of the wind blowing through my hair and cooling off my face as I drive about in the tuk tuk from destination to destination. Thank goodness the tuk tuk has a cover! (The poor driver doesn't get any shade though, unfortunately...but he gets to lounge in between driving.)

I'm going to list the different temples that I've been to in the last couple of days - it won't make any sense to anyone, but it gives me a way to keep track of where I've been so that I can refer back to the list when I post the pictures. =)

December 16
- Banteay Srei (also known as the Pink Temple)
- Kbal Spean (River of 1,000 Lingas) - you hike up the mountain for about 30 minutes (slightly strenous hike...was thinking of my hiking girls on the climb!) I LOVED this one! One of my top favorites for sure!!
- Banteay Samre

December 16th was only supposed to be a half day, but ended up being a full day because it took so long to get out to these temples AND I took my time at Kbal Spean. I ended the day with a nice hot shower (the ride was pretty dusty) an hour long massage, and then dinner at the Angkor Mondial buffet and Aspara Dancing show. ($12USD) Food was standard hotel buffet food, but the dancing was really beautiful. Lots of slow movements and intricate hand movements. I would be rejected from the dancing troupe because my fingers and feet aren't long enough. These dancers have beautiful long fingers, slim tiny bodies and long beautiful feet. It's a wierd combo, but it works for the dancers. They were gorgeous and their costumes were lovely as well!

Today - December 17th
looooong day. Headed out at 10am today because I was planning on catching the sun setting over one of the temples. For the most part, most of the temples, except Ta Prohm were fairly empty. It was great being able to take pictures without having to wait for a busload of chinese tourists to finish posing for their shots.
- Preah Khan
- Neak Pean
- Krol Ko
- Ta Som
- East Mebon

(lunch - stir fried morning glory with pork and rice, along with nice cold fresh coconut juice straight out of the shell)

-Ta Prohm
- Banteay Kedei
- Preah Rup (Sunset)

As you can see, I'm pretty "ruined" out. =) They're all starting to blend together, I need to refer to the photos to clearly dileneate them! This is one of the few places that I don't plan on coming back to (too touristy!)...so I'm definitely trying to make the most of the trip and see all the temples. The experience is definitely a bit marred by the busloads of tourists that I have to compete with for photos and airspace. Not a relaxing experience at all! I can easily see how crazy this area will get in the very near future. Several of today's monuments were not roped off, but I can definitely see that as a trend as many others that I've seen are roped off to keep tourists from damaging the ruins or hurting themselves by climbing where they shouldn't be.

Thank goodness I've got a short agenda planned for tomorrow! The little kids and vendors at every temple are starting to get to me too. (Uncharitable, I know...but somehow the cambodian accent with english comes out very shrill and annoying.)
"Ladee! Ladee! You want some cold drink? How 'bout you buy postcard from
me...1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10 for one dollah. You buy from me...Maybe lateah? I
remember you...you buy from me okay? Ladee ladee how 'bout you buy one scarf?
Not for you...you buy for your mom...you buy for your friend!"

The kids are pretty persistent as well..."Lady, where you from? Oh USA - the capitol is Washington D.C., George Bush is your president. You from California? Your governor is Arnold Swarzenegger." Many kids can count up to fifteen in several languages and they are damn persistent. One kid kept at me all through lunch and afterwards. *sigh*."
I want to help them, I do...but I can't buy all that stuff. I gave some macaroons and a box of soy milk to some little ones at one temple, they must have been hungry because they sat right down and ate them right up. The were about 4 years old. I gave some biscuits to some other kids at sunset because they were super scrawny. In these developing countries, you have to decide what you're willing to do and what you're willing to give. I'd rather give pens/pencils and paper when possible and when I've run out of those, then some nutritious snacks are the other alternative unless I come across an organization that I want to donate to. Others give money and time, it's all a matter of doing what works for you.

Alrightie...now I'm off to get a foot massage and neck/shoulder massage before heading back to the hotel to wash my clothes (I've been handwashing each day's outfit every night) and get ready for bed. It's an early morning tomorrow - 7am start! (I'm looking forward to heading home and staying in one place for more than a week and some home cooked meals!!) =p

It looks like 6-8 weeks is my limit before I start to get a bit homesick and get tired of eating out for every meal!

No comments: